Salary: £37,415 - £44,572 (dependent upon qualifications and experience and inclusive of annual allowance)
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 1st May 2017
Interview Date: TBC
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
The STFC Estates and Facilities Management department is responsible for the development of our three principal campuses; the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, housing science and technology facilities, workshops and laboratories.
Purpose of the Role
We now have an exciting new opportunity for a Project Manager to join our New Build Capital Programme team based at our Harwell Campus, supporting the delivery of a portfolio of building projects as part of an asset development programme worth circa £250M over 5 years.
Working with external consultants, the client side project manager provides the technical interpretation of scientific requirements into a deliverable building scheme. Leading the project implementation through the internal and external professional teams and managing internal governance. You will work closely alongside the Programme Manager.
- manage assigned roles, responsibilities and levels of delegated authority within established project governance structures
- manage the capture and assembly of value engineered User requirements through an engagement programme ensuring effective internal and external and client communication
- set up the project team - negotiating internally with key departments and stakeholders and agree, where necessary, to free up other key internal resources, such as internal FM, Communications, Digital Solutions (IT), to form a dedicated project delivery team
- work with the external professionals, project managers, architects and internal teams and stakeholders to facilitate the new build, setting up coordination project work streams
- participate in the development of the procurement strategy and implementation
- manage the project in accordance with STFC established policies e.g. SHE codes and protocols.
- responsibility for effective, timely and accurate building progress and financial reporting to the Project Board
- act as the principal project contact for all internal stakeholders as well as be the lead client side contract for external project managers and professional advisers, contractors and suppliers
- own and manage the performance and quality of professional appointments, such as the Project Managers, Cost Consultants, Architects and Contractors
- ensure an effective programme of project meetings, communications and information exchange between team members and stakeholder groups, promoting a team-working approach.
- with external project managers and cost consultants take overall responsibility for the project budget/overall cost plan, reporting to the Project Board on a regular basis, approving or seeking approval for contract instructions that arise
- countersign/approve project management instructions on an as needed basis acting on the recommendation of external project managers and cost consultants
- facilitate regular meetings with external cost consultants and internal Finance team to review the cost plan.
- develop and lead the internal communication plan for all workplace transformation, fit-out and relocation issues, planning and implementing in conjunction with internal teams and external professionals
- ensure appointment of departmental champions and move co-ordinators, with clear roles and responsibilities.
- report on project milestones, programme and budget to the project Board and any other internal stakeholder sessions as required
- in conjunction with internal teams. ensure liaison with all departments on names to seats, meetings to agree final layouts, documented in plans issued for sign-off and implementation.
- ensure the principles of GSL and BIM are adopted and appropriate BAU hand over criteria is established with the FM, CICT and client operational teams
- ensuring any training on new systems and familiarisation with the new building is factored into the programme for the relevant operational teams
- with internal teams, ensure management of all moves related tasks, including the tendering for move management/relocation suppliers.
In addition to the competitive salary, an exceptional index index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
As this job does not fulfil the Home Office Code of Practice criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK. You can check your eligibility here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
The closing date for applications is 1st May 2017. The interview/assessment date for this vacancy is to be confirmed and will be held at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867000 (8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.