Salary: £37,415 - £41,572
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Interview Date: 15/05/17
Actively supporting the successful and safe delivery of assigned construction works to programme and within allocated budget across the STFC Estate in Oxfordshire & Hampshire. Also responsible for the Management, development and control of the Estates Asbestos Management Plan, including asbestos control supervisory responsibilities for contraction projects and Building Maintenance. Post responsibilities also include Line Management of a small minor fabric works team. The Management and coordination of appointed external professional teams and contractors is also required.
You will be required to provide qualified professional support, advise and training to the organisation's Estates & Operations teams to ensure that the organisation fully meets its compliance obligations relating to construction activities. Including, but not limited to the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015), The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and the organisations Safety, Health& Environment (SHE) codes.
The primary duties will include:
- liaise closely with the Safety Health & Environment (SHE) department to influence SHE policy development (SHE codes) and ensure that construction related SHE incidents are thoroughly investigated by respective managers/contract supervising officers. Undertake Departmental SHE Contact role for STFC Estates South
- providing health & safety advice, and oversight for various projects incorporating all building disciplines, with assistance from in-house construction professionals
- instruct, implement and manage works using NEC3 TSC & NEC3 ECC processes and protocols
- as STFC Estates South Asbestos Control Officer, (STFC SHE Code 35), will own the Asbestos Management Plan, ensuring periodic re-inspection of asbestos containing materials, asbestos related risk assessments and organize the remedial works arising from these inspections
- line management/supervisory responsibilities for a small Clerk of Works team who undertake building fabric maintenance and minor project works on the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Cosener’s HouseHotel and Chilbolton Observatory Estates
- initial and on-going liaison with STFC Project Managers and contractors to ensure control and management of asbestos and safe working construction practices
- review and comment on contractors’ Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- custodianship of the Estates Permit to work system liaising closely with responsible and approved persons
- ensure that all construction activity is properly coordinated by Project Managers (Client and Contractors) to ensure minimum disruption to the science programme and that it is carried out to best practice standards of Health, safety and Quality
- provide specialist SHE advise to management meetings, coordinate MI from contractors to produce monthly informative and analytical reports
- undertake frequent site inspections to monitor contractors are complying with organisational SHE codes and their RAMS taking decisive intervention action when necessary.
Available periodically local Call-Outs (Harwell, Abingdon and Chilbolton) and weekend working when required.
- Formal Building Qualification (NVQ level 3 and above)
- nationally recognised Health & Safety Qualification (NEBOSH or equivalent).
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate
- environmental management
- fire risk assessment accredited qualification
- BOHS P402 Surveying and Sampling Strategies for Asbestos in buildings
- BOHS P405 Management of Asbestos in buildings.
Knowledge & Experience
- extensive experience/knowledge of the Construction Industry
- demonstrable knowledge of current and relevant Health & Safety legislation
- experience of managing/supervising teams
- management of Safe Systems of Work
- management and control of Asbestos
- experience in supervision of Contractors
- experienced operator of Microsoft Office
- experience of CDM, Quality Systems and Safety.
- experience and practical application of NEC3 TSC and NEC3 ECC
- estimating experience
- extensive experience/knowledge of procurement
- cost management experience
- AutoCAD experience.
Personal Skills and Qualities
- able to motivate and manage contractors
- self-motivated and the ability to work both independently and as an active team
- ability to solve problems and make decisions
- good verbal and written communication
- willingness to broaden knowledge.
- full UK Driving Licence
- available for overnight visits
- live within one hours travel time of the Harwell RAL site or be prepared to relocate.
- membership of Association for Project Safety (APS) or equivalent body
- chartered Member of IOSH or equivalent body.
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
As this job does not fulfil the Home Office Code of Practice criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK. You can check your eligibility here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
The closing date for applications is 1st May 2017. The interview/assessment date for this vacancy is 15th May 2017.
We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Hotline on 01793 867000 (8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday). Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.