Our graduate scheme promises to fire the imagination. Our graduates work on world leading science and technology projects and support ground-breaking research that will inspire, shape and define our future.
What do we do?
The Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations, trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting edge projects in a range of diverse fields. Through world class facilities and people, STFC is driving ground breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. The work that we do is helping to shape societies, strengthen economies and transform lives.
Join us a graduate to work with world leading experts and be involved in some of the world’s biggest and most exciting science and engineering projects. You can find out more about our work here: https://youtu.be/k9gaDSDzRQQ.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
About our Graduate Programme
The Graduate Programme offers a real job, starting from day one. You’ll join one of our departments as a core member of the team and gain immediate exposure to exciting projects and challenges that will enable you to rapidly develop deep expertise and technical ability in your chosen field. It’s an opportunity to really pursue your interests and passion early in your journey with us, supported by a broader programme of career support, training and development ranging from communication skills to project management. You’ll also benefit from being part of a growing and vibrant graduate community, building networks and connections across STFC and beyond.
- Current starting salary of £26,932, plus annual incremental increase, a £1,000 welcome bonus and a £2,000 salary increase after the first year
- Subject to performance you will be promoted after two years with us, resulting in a further salary increase
- You’ll get the chance to work on cutting-edge projects with international collaborators
- STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege holidays, flexible working hours and an exceptional pension scheme
- You will be provided with a mentor to help support to help you achieve Chartered Status or equivalent in your field.
Our graduate scheme is accredited by:
- Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Physics
STFC is also organisational member of the British Computer Society, The Chartered Institute for IT.
For more information please visit: STFC Graduates
In order to be eligible for STFC’s graduate scheme, you need to have;
- Obtained or be working towards your first degree Bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2018, 2019 or be due to receive it in 2020
- Achieved or expected to achieve 2:1 or above
- The right to live and work in the UK.
How to Apply
Please click on the job title for more information and to apply. Please read the ‘How to Apply’ guidance on the vacancy. Please submit a CV and cover letter online outlining your suitability for the role. You can apply for a maximum of two roles.
STFC consists of several distinct departments each focusing on a different specialism, whilst working together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for graduates with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable for you.
We recruit on a rolling basis therefore we recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Applications will be reviewed and considered on an ongoing basis until our assessment centres are filled.
We have opportunities in the following locations:
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
- UK ATC, Edinburgh
- Daresbury Laboratory